Subject: Re: [Leica] Superb Leica R8
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:50:41 -0500

Whoa, Ted! Calm down. You're sounding like Eric did when he was on the
Nikon list and I'd post a criticism of the F5 (sorry, Eric...I couldn't
resist :-)).

Actually, I know better than to think any criticism of the R8 posted to
this list is going to be a popular opinion. But hopefully we can tolerate
an open discussion of the camera's strengths and weaknesses. In that light,
allow me a couple of responses to your thoughts.

>I'll say that "too each his own" as one apple isn't anothers pear or
>whatever the hell the saying is.

Very true.

> Who cares whether it's good
>looking, ugly or whatever the numerous things that have been put here. Many
>sound like the same nonsensical comments from two years ago when the
>camera hit the market.

How the camera looks is, obviously, irrelevant to its performance. For what
it's worth, I find the Nikon F5 to be fairly ugly as well. But Leica should
care whether or not negative thoughts on the camera's appearance are common
among the unconverted. Because those opinions can eventually impact sales,
especially if Leica hopes to grow by converting users of other brands to
Leica with a body they apparently plan to be selling for another 8 years.
And especially if even after two years on the market, those thoughts are
still prominent when the R8 is discussed.

>"I don't like it; its too this it's to that; it's heavy; it's black; it's
>not like an M6; it wont fit my hands; or so many other jerk water comments
>it's incredible.

I don't have the weight of the R8 winder available, but I suspect the R8
with winder weighs about the same as my Nikon F4 (not F4S). Many users have
criticized the F4 as being too heavy. It's not too heavy for me. But for
many, that is indeed a valid criticism. Likewise, if a camera does not fit
a photographer's hands well, criticizing its ergonomics is quite valid for
that photogrpaher.

>Did you ever consider if "your hands" are too small is that the camara's
>fault?

My hands are not particuarly small. But when, after wrapping them around an
R8 for an hour, my fingers begin to cramp, and that has not happened with
any other camera I've held, then yes, that is the camera's fault.

>When I started looking through the view finder, I really knew I had a
>winner Leica in my hands.

As I've said before, for those whose hands it fits, the R8 is a fabulous
photographic machine. Its quietness compared to other SLRs is amazing. It's
viewfinder is second to none. The touch and feel of its controls is as
near-perfect as any SLR has accomplished. With a fast shutter and flash
synch, and TTL flash metering, it has everything a non-sports photogrpaher
could need.

It even has a real shutter speed dial, for goodness sake! Not a dial which
does one thing when you press one button and something different when you
press another button, but a dial which, when you turn it, you know will
change shutter speeds and nothing else. For me, that's such a basic and
necessary control, but so difficult to find on a camera in the 1990s.
Believe me, if for no other reason than that, I really want to like the R8.

>when you take it out and start "working with it" not just playing
>"happy snaps"   then you can make subjective remarks in the value of the
>camera.

It's true, my thought come not by taking the camera out in the field for
extended use. And when the body causes my fingers to cramp after an hour's
use, I will not be taking it out in the field.

I've been following the LUG for a couple years now. Over that time, I've
seriously looked at Leica equipment like I never had before. I've decided
that someday, when I can afford it, I will own an M6HM and Noctilux for low
light use.

And I am convinced that Leica (and Zeiss) lenses are the best available.
But there is more to photography than the lenses. I'm not going to make a
good photograph with any lens, no matter how optically magnificent it is,
if I'm not comfortable with the body to which that lens is attached. For me
- -- and this is just my opinion; I'm not looking for anyone here to agree
with me -- SLR body design remains Leica's achilles heel.

>Until you do that, save your breath as there are too many ""using them with
>great success"" to listen to the negative diatribe of a few camera loosers!
>
>OK I've said my piece as some of you know I do on occaision and I realize
>I'll tick a few off! Do you know what? That's their problem, not mine! :)

Ah, Ted, I've come to respect your opinions too much over the years for you
to write anything that would tick me off.  Just consider this post some
thoughts from one of those "camera loosers."  ;-)

Larry