Subject: Re: [Leica] high speed color slide films
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:30:25 +0100

Francesco :

>>I asked if anyone could recommend a fine-grain (as much as possible),
>>high speed (1600), color slide film for use with the Noctilux in very low
>>light situations.

Don't forget, even though the Noctilux is the "KING OF LIGHT? DARKNESS? :)

There still must be sufficient light for an exposure in hand holding situations.

And I don't see a problem hand holding at 1/15th....sure you might blow a
few and a faster speed is preferable. As far as the neon signs go you
should have enough light in them to use 100 ASA film at 1.0 and hand hold!
Providing you are shooting the signs and not a whole bunch of "Black no
light street space."

As far as "high speed colour film" I'd give Kodak E200 pushed two or three
stops a try, you should be able to get some great images. You can easily
shoot it at 800 to 1000 and get very nice grain structure. With well
saturated colours.

>>I tried T400CN with the Noctilux at 1.0 one night and could not get
>>faster than 1/15 even at 1.0.  First, I did not like the BW for street
>>shooting at night because I missed neon signs and store windows.
>>Second, I think I need a faster film since I handhold and I would like
>>1/125 or at least 1/60.  Any recommendations?

There are areas of the night where it really is black and unlikely any
camera is available to shoot a hand holdable exposure. Therefore, some
"light" common sense is required using the Noctilux, even though some of us
make it sound like it will expose film in the bottom of a coal mine at
midnight! :)

ted