Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG web space project
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:42:14 -0500

At 02:15 PM 6/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>First thing.......a name for the site.  Any ideas?
>Here are some examples.......
>
>www.leicaimages.com
>www.leicausersgroup.com
>www.leicaphoto.com
>www.leicausers.com

Think about it. What other than www.lugnuts.com would be appropriate? :-)

I'd try to stay away from using the world Leica. The company might not like
it. If you want to, I'd suggest getting their blessing for the specific usage.

>Second.....getting images to me.  First way would be to mail me slides
>so I can scan them for you on my equipment (probably the best idea).
>Another option would be to email or ftp me a JPG or PSD file.  This is
>fine too, but only if you have a good enough scanner.  Actually, I'd prefer
>to scan the slides/negs myself to ensure consistent quality throughout
>the site.

Can't do it. Just can't chance my pictures getting lost when I have a high
quality scanner. And nobody crops my photos but me. That is a significant
issue. If you're going to scan, you probably need to email them back a
digital image and ask them how to crop. Then they could print out a paper
copy and use a ruler and pen to make cropping marks.

And folks, don't give me this hoo haw about "I don't crop my pictures.
Cartier-Bresson doesn't crop his." If you're as good as he is, fine,  you
have a point. But many, many pictures, by pros and amateurs can use a good
crop some times. A good edit can save a bad picture some times. And some
times the shape of a picture is not appropriate in the standard 35mm
proportions.

End of sermon.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I'm still not sure if I understand ambiguity.