Subject: Re: [Leica] Laughing Photos
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:37:36 -0400

Fun, funny?  What can possibly be amusing about Leicas?

That's a joke . . . sort of.

The photo to which you refer is, I think, by Eisenstadt.  It's of a band
major in full regalia trailed by mimicing children; he talks about its
composition in Willard and Morgan, 10th ed. I'm at the office now, but I'll
check when I get home.

I agree that "sentiment" is often easier to capture in a photograph than
"humor," as such.  Tends to play itself out in ironizing juxtapositions,
sight gags, as it were.  Burlesque is easier to represent in a photo, at
least so it seems to me.

Chandos