Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6 user
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 09:30:36 -0400

>I am about to dive into an M6 outfit but
>have some reservations: Is the light metering system antiquated technology?

The meter reads light reflected from a white circle on the shutter curtain.
It is not multimode, matrix, 3D or any of that other nonsense. It _IS_
deadly accurate, and, unlike some "high tech" meters, you always know what
it is measuring.

>Why accounts for the price difference between the silver chrome and black
>lenses; is the difference worth the price?

The black chrome ones have an aluminum body and the chrome ones a brass
body. The black ones are lighter, but in my experience no less rugged.
Black or chrome is largely a matter of taste.

>Are the new 35mm f2.0 ASPH that superior to the older version.

The ASPH is slightly better and reported to be more flare resistant. I'm
not ready to give up my non-ASPH for one. (yet)

> What flash outfit works well with Leica, kmowing it won't have the same
>capabilities as the Nikon.

Any flash is fine. (many luggers will insist that using flash on an M is
heresy) I use a 283 Vivitar on an old CTOOM bracket when I use flash. The M
bodies have no fancy flash modes and no TTL flash metering. (And I hope
they stay that way)

>As you can see I have a million questions. Any support would be appreciated.

One of the reasons LUG exists!

Cheers!

kw

- ----
Ken Wilcox                             Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits
LHSA, MEA, LAW                      preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                                     <kwilcox@gfn.org>