Subject: Re: [Leica] Collapsable Elmar
From: LNRPhoto@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 1998 17:29:26 EDT

This is an opinion based upon hands-on practise as opposed to a carefully-
structured test or bench analysis.  I can see virtually no difference in the
performance of the two lenses at working apertures (f/4, f/5.6, f/8).  At
f/2.8 the Summicron (current version) has slightly improved contrast but this
would be expected.  Comparing them both wide open they are again about equal,
but of course the Summicron gives you an extra stop for your trouble so in
hand-holding you'll get sharper images but that is not attributable to the
lens itself.
As to the compactness, unless one removes the threaded shade from the Elmarit
it isn't all that much more compact than the Summicron.  Removing the shade is
asking to misplace it, being so very small.  In summary, I would clearly
purchase the Summicron as a working lens because of its speed, all else being
more or less equivalent.  Again, we are speaking of what is visible to the
human eye (via an 8x loupe) and not theoretical specifications derived from an
optical testing apparatus.  The Elmar (chrome version) does look rather spiffy
on an M3 or M2 so if I were replacing a damaged or irreversibly-clouded old 50
I might consider it from that standpoint.

Larsen Renfrew