Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photos on the Web
From: Mark <mark@steinberg.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 07:30:58 -0700

danny,

i beg to differ. many great artists, especially those who've been working
since the 1860s, have portrayed fairly "ordinary" scenes in a way that
transforms the actual view into a great vision and transports the
observer of the result (see manet, monet, pissaro, cezanne, etc etc etc).

i suggest that ansel adams managed the same (and others, etc etc). millions
of people a year visit yosemite, trampling all over that beautiful landscape.
yet few, if any, manage to transform that landscape into a truly great
image with the skill and anticipation of the result that adams achieved.

i believe, perhaps incorrectly, that at any point in time and space a
truly great artist can look about themselves and "see" art. the decision
whether to capture and offer that vision to others becomes the critical
event. in other words, we are surrounded by the potential for "great art"
*constantly*.

if a decision is taken to portray that vision, the effort made, and the
result is a failure, then so be it, there is a learning process that
can be fed back and capitalized upon for the next attempt. the
failure is in the portrayal, not the original perception.

mark

ps. i'll be away for a week and any follow ups on my part may be sporadic.

pps. thank god for "also rans", without them here would be no race,
no event, no such thing as the "photo-finish"....