Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica bug -- long post
From: echampio <echampio@Adobe.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 22:23:51 -0800

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> Lets hear about you and how photography entered your
> life, and how the LUG has emptied your bank account ;-)

Here's a thumbnail sketch of the life of a LUG lurker...

My photographic addiction started early. At age ten or so, my parents started
teaching me to take pictures. My mother let me use her Voigtlaender Vitomatic
IIa, while my father taught me with his Bolsey and a Polaroid 250 automatic.
As you can see, I was spoiled from the beginning.

In the sixth grade, I received the first camera that was really mine. It was a
brand new Nikon EM. It was black. It was cool. It was small and I could carry
it around all the time. After two years of automatic exposure and nothing
else, though, I really wanted a camera that would let me set my own shutter
speed again. I started reading the camera collector column in Modern
Photography magazine, living to mow lawns and put away money.

At the end of Junior High school, Leica completely emptied my bank account for
the first time. Through the newspaper, I found a Leicaflex with 50mm f2.0 and
35mm f2.8 lenses. I did enjoy that camera. It was a tank. No other word can
describe it. It weighed a ton, and the little light meter window in the
pentaprism certainly was absurd, but the images it took were beyond compare.
(I'm just speaking of color and resolution here. My photographic skills are abysmal.)

My Leicaflex stayed with me for quite a while, but during a trip to Europe in
High School, I discovered that there were pictures I wanted to take that were
beyond the capabilities of the tank. Some subjects were too far away or simply
too fast for my poor reflexes. I abandoned Leica in favor of a Nikon F3HP, an
MD4 motor drive, a big flash and long zoom lenses.

The Nikon served me through the rest of high school and college, but disaster
eventually struck. I had to sell all of my photographic equipment to pay rent
and other bills before leaving the dismal Colorado job market and heading for
Seattle. Luckily, I worked at Microsoft, so for a couple of years, I didn't
have time for delirium tremens brought on by not being able to take pictures.

After coming to my senses, I started working at Aldus, where I could at least
work with digital images (and work on a Macintosh). Soon, Adobe bought Aldus,
moving me to California, where I could play with Photoshop whenever I pleased.
:) Confronted by the beauty of Santa Cruz and the Big Sur coastline, I
couldn't do without another camera. After some deliberation, I bought a Contax
RTS, an RTS II, and a suite of lenses. What a terrible experience! My 50 mm
f1.4 surprisingly fell apart in my hands one day. Repeatedly, I sent both
cameras and lenses back to Yashica for service.

Luckily, I stumbled upon the Rollei mailing list which shares this server. The
traffic on that list convinced me that wonderful equipment existed out in the
world that could make me forget my Contax blues. I found a Rolleiflex 6006,
50mm f4, 80mm f2.8 and 150mm f4 lenses. I have since acquired a second 6006
and many accessories. I could not be happier. The Rolleiflex suites my
mentality and pictures of Yosemite under a surprise Spring snowstorm cannot be
improved upon.

The Rolleiflex often isn't appropriate for wildlife photography, however. In
some situations, I feel that I need the advantage of a small, silent,
completely automatic camera. After deliberating over much courteous advice
from LUG members, I will soon have a Leica R4 to accompany Rollei. In spite of
the R4's reputation, I'm hoping not to have a repeat of my Contax curse. I am
completely psyched over the prospect of owning a Leica again.

Thanks for reading.

- --
Erich Champion : mailto:echampio@adobe.com  : 408.536.6497 Voice
User Education : Adobe Systems Incorporated : 408.537.4040 Fax
- --