Subject: [Leica] Bit by Leica bug.......
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 10:45:21 -0500

 I also got bit by the Dengue bug in Cuba (groan).   For those of you who
need a refresher from our Bio-roll call a while back.  I'm 32, from
Illinois, USA (big Bulls fan, let's make it six rings MJ, tomorrow night)
and am the in-house photography department for an evangelical missions
organizations here in Ecuador.

I got the photography bug early as a result of my father.  He's a farmer
by trade but takes one or two trips all over the world each year for as
long as I can remember.  Of course, he would show us his images from far
away places.   He used a Nikon S with a 50 1.4 picked up in at a PX in
Korea by the way up until 4 years ago when he bought EOS.

I started doing photography for the yearbook in High school, got a job as
the college newspaper photographer without ever having developed a roll
of B&W film or a print in my life. Took on the yearbook photography job
and ended up co-editor my senior year.  Did all of the sports photography
for the athletic department programs etc. etc.  Graduated with a degree
in business administration.  Midway through college I started collecting
cameras and going to camera shows.  There I held my very first Leica a
M-3 DS with a 50 Summicron DR.  I was impressed by the mechanical
workmanship of it and started to really want one.   I bought one similar
to it the year after I graduated from College.

I worked in Photo Retail management for several years and in 1990 bought
my second M3 along with a SL, a R-3  35 2.8R, 50 2R and a 80-200 vario
Elmar.

In 92 God said "go live in Ecuador" so being short of cash at the time I
sold all of my Leica equipment to boost my working Canon FD system.

My work is such that I have to be able to photograph anything and
everything.  I do advertisements, aerials,  book covers, calenders and
postcards, children and family portraits, musical CD artwork, medical
cases and surgery, photos for publication and PR,  soccer and other
sports  for Christian Athletes, product shots for catalogs  and even an
occasional weddings.  Add to that slide duping, E-6 processing, digital
scanning and a lot of B&W work and I'm not lacking for things to do.  The
variety of work is nice as it you keep getting challenged,  but the
downside is it takes a toll on you due to the concentration required.
You feel like you don't have time to really perfect any one given area
and even if you do you feel like you are constantly losing your edge if
you haven't shot something in a while.

I got back into Leica slowly over the past year after selling off my
Hasselblad stuff.  It fills a niche in my weekly routine, I like to use
it mostly for radio interviews of personalities and dignitaries.  This
morning we had two congressmen and Quito's next mayor.  We get just about
everybody that's important in the country at some point as we are the
only media that reaches every bit of Ecuador  (via FM, AM and Shortwave)
 It's kind of nice to hear diplomats, congressman, government ministers,
several ex-presidents and the current vice president tell you how they
listen to our unbiased news each night at 7 no matter where they are the
world.

I use M for some reportage work where I'm up close and I don't need
zooms, motors, AF, flash  or a 135 f/2 or 200 2.8.

Most of all, I use M to break up the routine of my other equipment.   I
like it because it forces me to get close and be in the midst of the
action.  It also forces me to think ahead of what I want to focus on.
With sIrs, I just focus on whatever looks right at the time,  I really
don't think about it.  It's a good exercise from time to time but can be
frustrating as well.  I can hold it for 1 to 3 speeds more with
acceptable results assuming the subject movement is minimal and it's much
less intrusive than the EOS 1n with motor, 28-70 2.8 and a flash with a
turbo battery.

But when I really want a change of pace work-wise and want to relax.    I
take a 4 x 5 and a few holders and head out into the hills.

Enough about me as I think I hear somebody snoring.........   Hope
someone finds this interesting.......

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador