Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Cams (was Leica-Users List Digest V3 #114)
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 12:42:29 +0900

Charles,

I understand now what you meant regarding the "non-rotating" cam.  My
Tele-Elmar 135/4.0 works the same way.  The CL/M difference, then, is
not based on rotation, but whether the thingie (I'm getting
anti-technical here!) engaging the rangefinder arm/wheel moves
parallel to the lens mount (M) or at an angle (CL).

Have we kicked this one to death yet?

Regards,

PB

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:57:08 -0500, Charles Babington
<cbabing3@swbell.net> wrote:

>My reference to "non-rotating" cam was to the arrangement in my 90
>Summicron and 135 Elmarit lenses, where the lens mount simply has a
>small plate that engages the wheel on the rangefinder arm.  This plate,
>which is about a half inch wide and is connected to the focusing threads
>that are an inch or two forward of the lens mount, moves only fore and
>aft as the lens is focused.  There is no rotation to it at all - the
>same point on the rangefinder wheel remains in contact with the plate
>throughout the focusing range of the lens.

Paul C. Brodek
Kobe, Japan
pcb@iac.co.jp