Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder Cams (was Leica-Users List Digest V3 #114)
From: Marco Grande <hektor73@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:18:26 -0700 (PDT)

The Leica RF was designed to focus by matching the movement of a
complete 50mm optical unit (ie 5 cm Elmar) as it moved in and out
while focusing. Wide angle lenses tend to move less, longer lenses
more for the same focusing excursion. SO to couple these to the RF
there are essentially two solutions:
1) Differential helix, used in all Leitz/Leica RF coupled non-50mm
lenses (except CL lenses) since 1932.
2) Sloped cam, used in 40mm and 90mm CL lenses only.
 Cheaper solution requiring PRECISE location of camera RF arm.