Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M superior to R for fast moving objects
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 22:03:40 +0100

Scott D. Burnside wrote:

>I have shot a lot of air shows using an SLR camera, usually with a 400,
>500 or 600mm lens. The trick to following the action, besides
>anticipating, is shooting with both eyes open. It takes some practice but
>what doesn't.

Hi Scott,

What advice would you give to a one eye only, left eyed photographer? :)

>Let's say you are shooting the Blue Angels and the opposing solos are
>going to cross each other in show center from opposite directions. Let's
>say I have my Nikon F5 with a 500 F4 AFS lens.>>>>>>

Lets say I'm shooting the men's 100 meter finals in the Olympics, what
would you tell me to do having only one eye? And me using a 280mm 2.8 or
the equestrian event with horse and rider coming right at me over a high
jump and I'm using an 800 mm Leica lens and a motor drive on an R7?

<<<<<<An F5 with follow focus and 8fps motor drive means that you have
increased the odds of a good shot vs a 2fps or 4fps manual focus M or R
type camera.>>>>>

But if they don't crash into each other who cares! :) So they fly by each
other and it's a none photo! :) Even at 8 or more frames persecond! :)

Just wondered what you might do in my case?

ted