Subject: Re: [Leica] lens choice (on-topic)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 1998 07:01:39 +0200

Alan,

> I need to know what is the maximum size a BW 35mm negative can be
> enlarged before losing the edge.

As others have said, it depends on viewing distance and film. If you take a
correctly exposed and developed Technical Pan 35mm negative, you can go
quite high up in size. I have some 8*10 prints from this film, and if I
look with a loupe, it still looks sharp, meaning that I could have enlarged
those negatives much more. And this was with 80s vintage Pentax lenses.
With Leica glass, you can do much better.

> Looking through my notes I see various sizes mentioned from 8x10 and
> up.  So it seems to be a subjective thing, which means I have to do my
> own test.

In the end, this is the only method that will work for you.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium