Subject: Re: [Leica] lens choice (on-topic)
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 15:07:44 +0100

Sorry I missed who posted this original message:

>>I need to know what is the maximum size a BW 35mm negative can be
>>enlarged before losing the edge.>>>>>

FWIW!

We just shipped to a US Medical Centre, 17 fine art archival custom made
B&W prints for use as decor in the opening of the new center. The smallest
print was 30 X 30 and the largest, most of them 30 X 40!  All made from
Leica lens created 35mm negatives.

These were images shot for my book on the medical profession, of which many
others at 16 X 20 are in the National Art Gallery of Canada photography
collection.

Early negs are Tri-X, with the bulk on T-max 400 rated at 800 and souped in
T-Max developer.  6 mins. at 75 degrees.

So I guess to answer your question: If you expose and process properly they
can go as big as you want them! :)

And many of the images were shot with the aperture wide open.... However
I'm the first to admit, I sure wish we had 35 & 21 aspherical lenses back
in the '80's!:)   Hell it wouldn't have changed the content mood one iota,
just the edge sharpness would have been a little better.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant