Subject: Re: [Leica] lens choice (on-topic)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 09:31:11 +0200

Alan - fine, that the community of well-done camera fans is still active :)
The answer on your lens choice depends on the type of picture and intended
f-stop, in my mind: It was said some weeks ago, that the 3.5/35 Summaron
hardly differes from a 2/35 M Summicron at higher f-stops, say f 8, I like
the 2/50 Summitar between f 2.0 and f 8/9, and the 4.5/135 Hektor was said
to be a good performer also at wide open. Keep in mind also, that the size
of your enlargement depends on the observer's distance. I feel prints on
50x60 cm, about 20"x24", paper pretty nice; larger ones are loosing too much
in contrasts.

Alf

Alan Hull wrote:

> I intend to compare successive enlargements to an identical
>image size from a 6x9 negative so I won't be fooled by a gradual
>deteriation.  As the lens chosen is important I wonder which is the
>better of my ancient Leica lenses,  They are.
>
>Summaron 35 3.5 .... Summitar 50 2 ... Hektor 135 4.5.  The 6x9 and the
>enlarger lenses are Schneider.  The Leica lenses are screw thread with
>a metal bayonet thing welded to the M2.

Alfred Breull
http://members.aol.com/abreull/index.htm