Subject: [Leica] Dogs and Leicas
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 14:17:43 -0700

I forget the name of the thread regarding lenses being named after pets,
but just found an interesting quote from the Viewfinder Vol 15, #3, July,
1982, p16, "Summarex" by Randol Hooper (who is the current Viewfinder
editor):

"Dr. Max Berek computed the symmetrical, 7 element - 2 pair modified Gauss
design for which he obtained a patent in 1937. He developed the SUMMAREX
name from a combination of the familiar Leitz SUMMAR trademark and the name
of his pet Alsatian, Rex. The SUMMAREX was the first commercial Leitz lens
to utilize coated elements and was the fastest long focus lens available
for the early Leica."

So there you have it in black and white. Which makes me wonder what he
would have named a Dalmatian?

Regards,

Gary Todoroff