Subject: Re: [Leica] New 50mm Summilux M 1.4 ?
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 11:48:35 EDT

<<  I am slightly
 hesitant, even though I appreciate the excellence of this lens, as I
 somewhere caught a rumour of Leica launching a new 50mm Summilux M 1.4.
 Can anyone substantiate this rumour? If so it might be worth the wait. >>

Leica has announced the introduction of a new R 50 1.4 lens.  There is some
expectation that Leica would also introduce a new M 50 1.4 lens.  However, I
am not aware of any announcement by Lecia about a new M 50 1.4.  I am hopeful
that they will do so.

It seems to me that converting an R design to an M design (for a 50 mm lens)
should not be difficult.  It would be a different question for wide angle
lenses, where the retro-focus / non-retro-focus question arises.

Tom Shea