Subject: [Leica] Re: Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4
From: Pascal <cyberdog@planetinternet.be>
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 11:36:52 +0200

On 04-06-1998 17:05 TEAShea@aol.com wrote:

>Although I have
>never used one, the 50 1.4 has a reputation (based upon the various published
>test reports) as being soft at 1.4 and 2.0.  I note, however that the reports
>note that it is very good at the smaller apertures.

In support of Tom Shea, I can add that, according to the Chasseur
d'Images' test report, the Summilux-M 50 f/1.4 is especially soft at the
corners (even very soft at the widest 3 f-stops), but an excellent
performer as far as center sharpness is concerned (its sharpness is even
higher than that of equivalent lenses of Canon and Nikon at the widest 3
f-stops).
I have a Summilux-M 50mm and can say I am very pleased with its results &
handling! If you know the weaknesses of a lens, you can at least take
this into account in photographical praxis and use each lens for what it
is best suited. If I want an image with "even sharpness across the entire
field", I take the Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH.
For an image of the Summilux-M 50mm at 1.4 or 2.0 (I don't recall), check
out the section "Elena" on my homepage http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace
(it is the only black and white picture).

Of course, and this is without doubt the sentiment that explains much of
the debate on the issue, I would feel somewhat unhappy if Leica now
decides to bring out a new version of the Summilux-M 50mm (although I
don't have a doubt that this version will be even better, that is a more
even sharpness across the entire field, as is the trend with third
generation lenses according to Erwin Puts' M lenses overview), because
that means in effect that I would immediately have an "old" lens... for
which I paid "modern" prices :-) The new Summilux-M 50mm, like the new
Summilux-R 50mm, would almost surely be around the same price level as
the "old" version...

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch