Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Serial Numbers
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 23:53:24 EDT

Jim,

These are serial numbers, and only serial numbers.  There is no hidden meaning
behind the numbers.  Unlike the way Nikon used to number the F series cameras
with the first two digits denoting the year of manufacture.  For example, lens
serial number 1,500,000 means that this is the one million, five hundred
thousandth lens produced.  Same as for the cameras.  Leica assigns serial
number blocks to production batches, which are eventually used up.  Each year,
a certain number of serial numbers are allocated for that years lens
production.  We know from the Leitz production records that M3 production
started at #700,000 and IIIf production began at #500,000, which were natural
breaks for serial numbers.
Leica serial numbers did not start at the #1 for either cameras or lenses.
The first production Leica I began at #131 in 1925, with #100-130 being
allocated to the so called "null series" pre-production trial models.  The
early lenses were the fixed lenses of the Leica I and these did not have
individual serial numbers.  When interchangeable lenses were introduced with
the Model C, the lenses were matched to the individual body and were engraved
with the last three numbers of the body they were matched to.  In theory, you
could have had four lenses with the same serial number.  Regular lens serial
numbers did not begin until #100,000, although some lenses exist in the
90,000+ range but are extremely rare.  Some early lenses had their serial
numbers scratched in the metal or written in pencil on the inside of the mount
or barrel.
Sometimes, you may come across a serial number with an asterisk (*) after the
serial number.  This indicates a replacement to an original lost or damaged
beyond repair original camera or lens.  These are extremely rare and highly
collectible.
So now you know all about Leica serial numbers!

Bill Rosauer