Subject: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 1998 17:22:59 -0600

At 10:55 AM 05/06/98 EDT, you wrote:
><< I don't have a web site where I can display any photos online.  If someone
> would allow me to post a photo on their site for a few weeks, I could send
> them a print to scan in which shows what the 50 summiluxM can do wide open.
>>>
>The differences in quality are small enough that there is no way a computer
>monitor could adequately reveal the level of quality involved.  I have no
>doubt that photos taken with the 50 1.4 would look excellent on the web.  The
>improvement in the new 50 1.4 would not be revealed by this type of
>comparison.
>
>How many lines of resolution can a computer monitor show, even under the best
>of circumstances?

I think the point that was being made earlier was that wide open the 50
summiluxM produces unacceptable images.  I don't want to show a comparison
of this-and-that version of the lens, just to show that the most recent
version can produce nice results wide open.  There was some previous
discussion that, since the new 50 summilux R is coming out, Leica should
update the M version because it is soft wide open, or some such thing.
   I have had a few takers on my offer to put a print up on the WWW.  So
what if the resolution isn't the same as looking at a print.  I just hope
to show that wide open, the lens can do some nice things.  I'll be sending
a print from Canada overseas, so it may be a few weeks before it gets up.
Stay tuned...

- -GH