Subject: Re: [Leica] SBOOI? Getting along with IIIf with Summicron
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 11:35:29 -0500

The 50 Summicron on a IIIf works well the folding shade, but the shade is
rather large and somewhat clumsy. Despite this I rather like using it.

The BL finders or any focal length are a delight to use! Big, clear images.
These do help with the screw mount's one failing, the squinty viewfinder.

Cheers!

kw

>About a year ago I bought a Leica IIIf with Summicron 5cm F2. Along with
>IROOA.
>
>IROOA is too big! Can hardly see the subject via the viewfinder. I tried
>12585H thought it would work better, and it was better, but little
>better. I bought another third party shade for 3000 yen ($20 or so.). Much
>better. I can see 70-80% of the view. - but maybe it's not as
>effective as IROOA.
>
>Or maybe SOOFM would make me happy.(Well, as I see from the accessory
>guide, it looks so attractive. Should work great.) I don't know.
>
>I am kinda figuring out that maybe the camera's built-in viewfinder was
>not meant to use with high-speed 50mm lens even though I don't
>have the document to confirm it. Elmar 5cm 3.5 with FIKOS would be a
>better match.
>
>Because of the suggestions of many I once thought upgrading the camera to
>M Leicas. I understand everything is better, but I would like to
>stick with this fine piece of craftmanship, and its artistic design. Leica
>III's are more beatiful to me than M's. (MY OPINION, ok? Maybe I
>am just a poor lost-sheep. :-P)
>
>I would like to ask y'all about the 50mm viewfinder, SBOOI. Does it give
>me as good view as M3's viewfinders? or at least better than
>the internal viewfinders of IIIf's?
>
>Thank you in advance.
>Tom K.

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
600 Dayton, Davison, MI 48423                        <kwilcox@gfn.org>