Subject: RE: Re: Was: [Leica] Noctilux Now: Summilux
From: srlondon@ibm.net
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 00:29 -0400

- ----Original Message-----
   >From:    	TEAShea@aol.com

   >Dan, it is certainly a legitimate question that you ask.  Although I have
   >never used one, the 50 1.4 has a reputation (based upon the various published
   >test reports) as being soft at 1.4 and 2.0.  I note, however that the reports
   >note that it is very good at the smaller apertures.
   >
   >Of course I realize that sharpness is not everything, but for this particular
   >focal length and aperture, I would like the sharpest lens possible.

Reputation aside, I have been thrilled with the performance of my Summilux-M.  Although it might not set any resolution records at f/1.4, as many LUGers have mentioned in regard to the Noctilux, that isn't really the point.  It has acceptable sharpness and wonderfully smooth out of focus rendition at large apertures, and is one of the better used buys.  From the perspective of the budget user, a new lens would be a big favor, as it might drive used prices of the "old" lens down.