Subject: Re: [Leica]M Elmarit 28mm
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 1998 02:01:17 +0900

Hi Adi,

I also have the 3rd version Elmarit-M 28/2.8, and it is big and it
does block a large part of the viewfinder.  The #12536 hood that came
with my lens was an older version that did not have the corner cutout,
but I found a newer one with the cutout, which helps a little bit.  I
usually use a shoe-mount 28mm finder with this lens.  It makes it
easier to frame,and I can see the frame lines better when wearing
glasses.

Haven't mounted a 4th version on my cameras, so I can't tell you how
much less of the finder it blocks.  The 4th version is s a little
shorter and has a smaller diameter front element, but someone who has
used both will have to fill you in as to the difference through the
finder.

The Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH blocks almost as much of the finder as the
3rd version Elmarit-M.  The Summilux is only about 2mm shorter from
the lens mount to the end of the lens hood, and the stock Summilux
hood (12588) isn't much smaller at the front.   Of course, though it
blocks a similar amount of the finder, it doesn't block as much of the
frame, since there's less area inside the 35mm frame lines.

When I'm not in flare-prone lighting, I often use a screw-in 46mm
circular shade with the Summilux.  It doesn't provide quite as much
protection, but it blocks less of the finder.  Most of the threaded
28mm hoods I've seen for 28mm lenses actually block more of the finder
than the Elmarit hood.

Cheers!

PB

On Sun, 31 May 1998 13:14:13 +0800, "hamlet" <adisoon@pl.jaring.my>
wrote:

>I just got the 3rd version 28mm Elmarit M lens. It is a big lens though =
and
>it covers a substantial portion of the lower right hand side of the M6
>viewfinder. I know that the current 4th version is a smaller lens. Just =
how
>much smaller is it and how much does it cover in the viewfinder? Also, =
does
>the size of the 35mm Summilux ASPH cover that part of the viewfinder.=20

Paul C. Brodek/Kobe, Japan
E-Mail: pcb@iac.co.jp
Tel/Fax: 078-857-3747
Tel/Fax (Int'l): 81-78-857-3747