Subject: Re: [Leica] Funny Glass ?
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 23:19:57 +0900

Eric Welch wrote:
> >Why?  Our friendly photons don't know or care whether the glass was
> >poured in the suburb of Tokyo or Wetzler.  To me, a piece of engineering
> >is just not about where the components are made.  It's the
> >implementation and and execution that really matter.  If Hoya is capable
> >of producing elements consistently to the spec, I don't care if it's in
> >my Summicron.
>
> I would submit they aren't. They are a glass maker, not a lens maker. The
> grinding, coating and other specs are done by Leica, unless Leica would
> tell us otherwise. They don't seem embarrassed to say when it's being done
> with other lenses. So why would they not with this lens? Did these people
> making such a claim give any evidence besides hearsay? If so, let's see it.
> Otherwise, let's not spread rumors.

Actually, Hoya is also a lens maker as well as a glass maker.  Check
out:

     http://www.hoya.co.jp

They manufacture glass plates for LCD displays and for masking, both of
which require a far more advanced technology and precision than it is
required for manufacturing photographic lenses.  Who knows?  Hoya may
have supplied aspherical elements to Leica.  Do I care?  Not at all, as
long as these puppies produce fine images.

Leica is not a religion, at least to me.