Subject: Re: [Leica] Funny Glass ?
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 16:20:40 +0900

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 05:35 PM 6/2/98 -0800, you wrote:
> >Today, I was informed that the glass for the new 75mm 1.4 Summilux was also
> >from Hoya.
>
> If they are implying Hoya made the raw glass, sure. I think Hoya is a major
> supplier, isn't it? But to imply they are grinding the glass and making the
> elements, no way.

Why?  Our friendly photons don't know or care whether the glass was
poured in the suburb of Tokyo or Wetzler.  To me, a piece of engineering
is just not about where the components are made.  It's the
implementation and and execution that really matter.  If Hoya is capable
of producing elements consistently to the spec, I don't care if it's in
my Summicron.

- --
Ken Iisaka                     $B%b%k%,%s%9%?%s%l!<>Z7t2q<R(B
Morgan Stanley Japan, Limited  $B>pJs5;=QIt!!!!!!!!HS:d(B  $B7r(B