Subject: [Leica] "powerful pictures"
From: Yods1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 15:28:11 EDT

Why quibble over the meaning of a "powerful" picture? You know what is meant
by it.
I saw a reference to Capa's Spanish soldier photograph. I'd be curious to know
if Lugger's think it is still a great photograph even though it was probably
set up (I'll get to that in a minute). I consider myself a photojournalist and
stick to the usually strict ethics of the profession, but feel that I'm too
partial to have a firm grasp on whether people really care if an image is
staged or candid.
About the photo: I did a term paper on Capa while in photo J. school at
Indiana University. One of my references was biography on Capa (sorry, it's
been too long to remember the title or author) and in it was a contact sheet
of the entire roll of negatives on which that frame was taken, courtesy LIFE
magazine as I recall. I seem to remember that particular soldier being in a
similar pose on more than one frame, but what I remember in particular is that
there were two distinctly different soldiers in the same dramatic pose--arms
and head flung back, rifle falling away, etc. Same spot--same clouds in the
background--same tufts of grass at their feet--two different people, wearing
different clothes.
It doesn't take a Leica scientist to figure out the improbability of Capa
photographing one solder being shot, then another in the same spot/pose after
the first was hauled off. I just don't think so.
But would people care if they knew?
Dave Y.