Subject: RE: [Leica] Powerful image
From: Five Senses Productions <fls@5senses.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 1998 08:36:02 -0700

So are you implying that a powerful image can only be of a serious,
dramatic, or emotional life experience?  Does this mean landscapes,
nudes, or photos of children at play cannot be powerful?

Francesco

At 09:17 AM 6/2/98 , Harrison McClary wrote:
>Example:
>1)Eddie Adams Pulitzer photo from Vietnam of the South Vietnamese shooting
the Viet Cong prisoner.
>2)Einstadets "KISS" photo from the end of WWII.
>3)Eugene Smiths "Country Doctor" essay in LIFE magazine.
>
>To me the term has always related to an image that elicits a strong
emotional response AND communicates something immediately.  The term,
AFAIK, is generally used to relate to news/documentary work where
communication is important and the immediacy of the image helps it achieve
its purpose. Sometimes one image alone doesn't make the grade as powerful,
but when used together in a grouping such as many of Eugene Smith's essays
they become VERY powerful.

>Imagine your snake on the boot image but make it a cobra with fanned head
about to strike a small child and the look of horror on the child's face as
he sees the snake rearing in his face.  There you have a powerful image.
The image must convey emotion and relate to some visceral instinct/feeling
we all share to be powerful.