Subject: Re: Re;[Leica] Opticlean--available in the US
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 09:08:29 -0400

Sander van Hulsenbeek wrote:

> About Opticlean: think before you act!
>
> I used it on my 24 mm Elmarit R, on the front, and almost could not peel the
> layer of. Eventually, after an hour or so, I did. With the help of a little
> screwdriver. I wished I had never put it on.

All,

Opticlean cures from liquid to rubberish to solid in a matter of
minutes. There is a knack to choosing the right moment to peel it off;
I've found that it falls in the 2.5-minute range, give or take. If you
do it right, it comes right off. If you wait too long, it doesn't.

However, believe it or not, cured Opticlean is water soluble, so if you
do wait too long you can just "wash" it off any lens using a damp cloth
and start again. Of course, using a damp cloth defeats your cleaning
purpose, but rest assured that no screwdrivers are necessary at any
point in the recommended Opticlean process.

Cheers,

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland