Subject: Re: [Leica] Review of Jupiter-8 50mm f/2 lens.
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 31 May 1998 02:36:38 -0400

At 11:15 AM 5/31/98 +0000, Richard Urmonas wrote:
>Conclusion:
>The Jupiter is a sharp lens which delivers excellent value for money.  It
does however suffer from contrast
>and flare problems.  I suspect that the supression of internal reflections
is poor.  I have sold the Jupiter.
>Its performance for my applications (low light) was not up to my
requirements.  For applications where the
>flare / contrast issue is not a problem the the Jupiter will deliver sharp
pleasant images at a bargain
>basement price.

It is extremely dangerous to judge any lens from a single example
(including, incidentally, the 2.8/50 Elmar!).  I wish you had posted the
factory and year of production for the Jupiter (it is the first two digits
of the serial number, unless it is a KMZ lens), as the products of some
factories, and some years, are better than others.  (And, yes, the 1970's
lenses are the weakest in the lot -- the best are the recent production
ones, if you can find one for sale!)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!