Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #88
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 10:49:49 -0400

At 10:08 AM 30-05-98 -0500, Eric wrote:
>>No, a true photographer takes photographs.  A mechanic appreciates fine
>tools.
>
>Of course, the last rebuilt carburetor I saw at the museum was a wonderful
>variation on the theme established by Richard Petty in his neo-holly days,
>from the 1960s when the average mechanic could get the best tools from Sears.
>
>Of course photographers appreciate their tools, they are not mechanics,
>they are creative professionals or amateurs.

Yes, a photographer can appreciate his tools, but it is not the
distinguishing feature of a "true photographer".   Many of us on this list
have a bit of a mechanic deep down inside of us that does appreciate the
fine workmanship of our Leica's (I still remember the smell of the machine
oil when I first took my new HM out of the plastic bag at the dealer);
nothing wrong with that.  But first and foremost, we are photographers who
take photographs.

Dan C.