Subject: Re: [Leica] Superb Leica R8
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@jnlcom.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 13:23:04 -0500

Sorry, Paul, but I have to disagree with you here.  The EOS 1 only allows
motor rewind of the film when the end of the roll is reached, and it only
allows motorized transport of the film.  The motor is much noisier than
using a manual film advance and even though the SLR is somewhat noiser
than the M it is nowhere as drastic as you make it seem.

I can think of quite a few instances where it would be grounds for being
thrown out of a venue to use a motor at inapproiate times, but the manual
advance/rewind would be acceptable.  If you are covering a golf
tournament (heaven forbid it be the Masters as your cameras are inspected
for level of noise before they even allow you to shoot on the course and
if you lose the sticker they confiscate your camera and throw you from
the course-I know, been there done that).  If you shoot the last frame
and your only option is motorized rewind you must wait for the fellow to
finish putting, hitting or whatever before you can rewind and reload,
with manual you could go on and do this when you are not allowed to shoot
anyway and be ready for reaction shots if he/she makes the putt. Same
thing holds true for a courtroom, and PLEASE don't tell me to use an M as
I have been in courtrooms where a 300 was too short.  Blimps are handy,
but in my experience as long as you did not use a motor the judges
allowed you to shoot.

Paul and Paula Butzi wrote

>But there's just not much
>point to
>complaining about the winder noise when the start of the winder noise
>is punctuated by the mirror slap.  Or at least not much; if you were looking
>for a quiet camera, you'd not be choosing an SLR.
>
>My point is not that the R8 should be downgraded for it's noise

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto