Subject: Re: [Leica]plutocrats
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:56:58 +0000

Alan Hull wrote:

> Donal and Larry
> Thanks for sharing those insights into the world of photo advertising.
> I couldn't have been more wrong about 35mm and the advertising world.
> My learning curve was vertical while I was reading your posts.
>
> With those dollar numbers nobody can complain about the subject title
> of this thread, and in fact, unless my server is on the blink,  the
> rest of the LUG has been struck dumb.  Where can I borrow another life
> to spend as an Advertising Photographer?

Alan,
I don't if you would like it.  Here's the thing, like much of the rest
of the culture, in the US there are a few photographers able to bring
down the giant dollars, for the rest--dregs.  I spoke to friend a couple
years ago who works as VP at McCann Erickson in NYC.  She told me that
the $5000/day phtoographer were starving and the $1000/day people were
getting all the work.  Of course, the later weren't making much money.
The 'clip disc' craze and the growth of stock in general has turned most
photography into a commodity in the public's and art director's eyes.
Consider that my stock agency had 700,000 images submitted for
consideration by photographers in one year.  Imagine trying to break
through that noise?  It has become like television with 100
channels--most everything is loud, corny, superficial, cheap and in your
face trying to get attention.

There are a few good ad campaigns that come along where subtlety and
skill are paramount, but they are far and few between these days.

I just found out yesterday that a former client of mine, a
multimillionaire who owns largest chain of furniture stores (including
all the buildings) in San Diego, and for whom I used to do furniture
photos for his full page newspaper ads ($15,000 a week placement cost)
has bought himself a RZ67 and some tungsten lights and is now doing all
the photography himself because he discovered (so told me the art
director who does the ads) that he resented paying me $1200 a day plus
expenses.  Considering his income from the business, he must now be the
highest paid photographer in San Diego!  And he is selling the photos to
the manufacturers of the furniture, who also resented paying big studio
in Los Angeles $125 a image for room sets.

Maybe it's horses.  Ya' gotta shoot horses, right?

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego