Subject: [Leica] Fast Focussing M6
From: jorge@cybernetrix.com (Jorge Fernandez)
Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 16:16:17 +0200

>>> << How do you focus so quickly with an M6 on the street when a scene
>  comes up out of the blue? >><<

My method involves a slight modification to yours and Michael's. I =
practice focussing at home with my 35 or 50 with the focus knob (on 50's =
that have one) lined up at the 6o'clock position (looking at the camera) =
and I know that it will be a given distance for either lens. Then I do =
the same for 45degrees left and right of this position. This gives me an =
accurate "guesstimated" distance at three positions for both lenses. Now =
I can estimate how far I am from my subject and in the moment that I =
raise the camera to my eye, I have nudged the focus knob to one of three =
positions. This leaves me with either having to do a small fine =
adjustment for more accurate focus or, as in the case mentioned in the =
light is lower than sunny 16 (e.g. I'm shooting at 5.6 and not as much =
dof). Not too effective with the Noct wide open I'm afraid. 8^) Good for =
little kids though.

Hope that helps some,
Jorge