Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Elitism and the PRO
From: "Alan Hull" <hull@vaggeryd.mail.telia.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 22:03:31 +0200

Hello Bruce.  I would agree with your definition when applied to other
professions but not to photography.  Most Freelancers regularly do it
for nothing for the clips, the future portfolio, the ringside seat.=20
Nothing wrong with this.  Sort of an unpaid internship, but in my
opinion, there are so many candidates trying to get to this first base
that management can live off the endless turnaround.  Hence no money,
hence no Leica,  The plutocrats of photography are in advertising and
they dont buy 35mm. =20

Alan Hull
> Fr=E5n: Bruce Feist=20
> Hello, Alan and other Leicaphiles;
> My usual definition of a 'professional' is someone who does something
even when they don't want to.  Adapting this to photographers, I
suppose that a professional photographer is one who takes
> photos even when they don't want to.  How's that?  (I'm afraid it
doesn't tie in well to your concept of many working professionals not
being able to afford Leica systems, though!)
=20