Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Members - Users / Collectors / LUGgers / Who
From: LEICAMAN56 <LEICAMAN56@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 01:14:57 EDT

Marvin,

You make some interesting observations regarding the LHSA.  Our membership now
numbers about 2200.  I would love membership to be at the 3000 level, and I
think this is an attainable goal.  I'm not sure of the average age of our
members, but I would guess about 60 is probably correct.  I am 42.

I have been around Leicas my whole life and got the use of one of my dad's
M3's at age 12.  I've been hooked ever since!

I joined LHSA in 1984 and this year I am hoping to be elected president.  I
did not join the society earlier because I felt it was a pretty exclusive club
and that perhaps I was not worthy.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  I've
made many friends thru the LHSA and it really is a wonderful organization.
The high point of the year for me is the annual meeting, when I can talk
Leicas for three days straight.  Photokina is also a high point, and this year
should be great with so many fellow LUGgers and LHSA members in attendance.

True, the original purpose of LHSA was collecting.  Over the years, as
membership increased our interests became more diverse.  In the past several
years, we have shifted our attention more towards users.  I would urge anyone
interested in Leicas to join the LHSA.  Many regard our publication, the
"Viewfinder" to be one of the finest Leica publications anywhere.  In it, you
can find articles on using, collecting, general photography, etc.  Literally
something for everyone.  Appealing to both gear heads and collectors - I fall
into both categories myself.

Do the right thing LUGgers.  Join an organization where those who love Leicas
are understood and appreciated!

Bill Rosauer