Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M6 starter Kit
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 20:01:03 +0200

Hi Ron,

I am myself a newcomer here, having just purchased my M6 outfit within the
past month. There are indeed two versions of the M6, one with a 0.72
viewfinder magnification (this is the traditional one), and a new M6HM with
0.85 magnification. Since I bought everything second-hand, the HM was not an
option for me. Be assured that the viewfinder in either M6 is brighter and
nicer to look at than any SLR. Whether you go for the standard version or
the HM depends mainly on the kind of lenses you use the most. The HM does
not have the 28mm framelines, the standard one does. The HM is really good
if you shoot with the long lenses.

My "normal" lens is the 35mm 2.0 Summicron. I have a version from the 70s,
and the quality of the slides I shoot with it surpasses any optic I have
owned before. I bought it in the UK and paid 470 pounds (about $750). In
addition, I also have the 1.4/75mm Summilux and the 1.4/50mm Summilux. When
shopping for a 50mm lens I also considered the Noctilux, but I was put off
by the high price and also comments from several people indicating that it
is inferior to the Summilux as a standard lens. The one missing piece for me
is the 24mm Elmarit.

As for the 90mm/2.0 lens, the guru of all Leica lenses, Erwin Puts, suggests
that in the 90mm length, the 2.8 Elmarit-M is a better choice. Or if you
want speed, then the 1.4/75mm Summilux. You should take a look at Erwin's
home page,  http://www.imx,nl/photosite/leica/m/lenses before buying.

If you want to see examples of the 35mm lens results, you can take a look at
my home page (see url in signature below).

Kind regards,

Nathan

Ron K. Miller wrote:

> Hi to LUGgers out there!
> I think I'll soon be joining the club. It's was hard to resist checking
> the users-digest everyday. Love the voracious and good-natured Q&As that
> go on. However before getting the M6, I'd like to get further
> clarification on a few issues  and  would like advice on buying lens and
> accessories:
>
> I own a Bogen 3001, but don't know if the  M6 baseplate will adapt.
> Recommend a lighter one for travelling overseas?
>
> Need recommendations on  filters /  brand  for B&W & colour photography.
>
> Handy high quality flash for travelling?
>
> Which version of the current model of M6 should I get?.  I heard there
> are two viewfinder magnifications.  I would appreciate if anyone could
> steer me in the right direction.  Worried that the viewfinder is not
> bright enough since I'm used to an SLR viewfinder.
>
> Any suggestions a wide /normal lens?  Thinking of a 35mm (after reading
> Elwin's report on 35mm) but need guidance in picking one out for a
> beginner.  The 35mm f1.4 ASPH is too expensive for now. I'm used to
> working with a Canon 55mm f/1.2 and tend to use the widest setting.
> (photography subjects range across the board, for now)
>
> Is a used 90mm f/2 at $900 reasonable (rating "9")
>
> Since I'm used to the 55mm angle, and might get a 90mm lens, any
> suggestions on a 3-lens wide/norm combo that might incorporate the 50mm
> lenses?   A 50mm Noctilux was suggested but am deferring that choice
> since it weighs far more than I'm willing to carry while travelling in
> Quebec this June. Besides it's "expensive" even at used prices.
>
> TIA
> BeeLian

- --
Nathan Wajsman