Subject: RE: [Leica] Fast M6 Focusing - Was Something Else!
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 23 May 1998 17:56:32 +0100

Michael Garmisa wrote:

>I use a similar method, usually hovering over f8/11 and taking period readings
>with a minolta autometer III as i feel the light changing, however I don't just
>point and click. I do focus which is fairly quick since you dont have to go
>back and forth to get the sharpest image like you do with a SLR. I don't worry
>if the subject is perfectly in focus and  just hit the shutter release at the
>right moment, even if its not perfectly focused i figure the depth of feild
>will give me enough lattitude to be off by a little.   but everyone seems
>to >really love the 35.  Also the 90 is great cause it only takes half the
>>veiwfinder.  Just wondering how you use like that 35 on the street, seems
>like >you would really be in the subjects face.  What lenses does everyone
>else use
>on the street?>>>>>>

Michael,

I've always worked by see, focus and shoot method for many years and it has
worked very well. However, it seems there are many on the LUG shooting
folks and things around town by using only the depth of field and winging
it.

Well I thought I'd try this method to-day & blew through a bunch of film
with the aperture set at 11 or 16 and the appropriate depth indicators set
on the 35mm lens and not focus on anything.

My first re-action looking through the viewfinder and rangefinder patch was
to focus! So I quickly put that aside and from then on looked through the
view finder as though it were a p and s camera relying only on the depth of
field to keep things in focus.

This is a complete reversal to my normal method of photography where I try
to use the widest possible aperture and highest possible shutter speed. I
always try to keep the subject separated from the back ground and make it
stand out, rather than having it lost in a maze of "infocus" back ground
and clutter.

We shall see which method works the best when the Ilford XP2 is processed
over the weekend.  I think my method will illustrate I have a better way
than grab banging images using the depth of field.  But then I've known to
be wrong in the past! :)

let you know.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant