Subject: [Leica] Inflated Price for M6J
From: AJSymi <AJSymi@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:01:39 EDT

<< Dammit!  That just makes me angry all over again that the M6J was produced
(and
 thus priced) as a collectible rather than a user.  Sure, the HM gives us the
 higher magnification.  But the M6J looks the way an M should, while happening
 to have a meter.  I wanted one when it came out, I still want one, and I
 couldn't and can't justify the inflated price.  Dammit. >>

Dear Jeff:

I agree.  But you can't blame the collectors, if Leica made enough of them,
the price would be comensurate with other M6 models.  I doubt the new HM model
will ever be worth more than a standard M6.  I really wonder if Leica makes
more money per unit for the limited edition models.  I would think that the
cost to produce those models would be higher also.  So what does Leica get out
of it (except the hype)???  It might make sense to contract with Leica to
produce 500 M6's for some anniversary event (e.g., the 2nd anniversay of LUG!)
and mark them up incredibly and make a buck or two.  Any ideas?  It seems to
me paying a premium for a camera with special engraving (and calling it
collectable) is a bit contrived.  The M6J, though, was truely different...

Cheers,
Arturo