Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: long lenses on M cameras
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 14:59:27 +0100

Bill Bain wrote:
>  Has anyone ever used the LTM 200mm
>Komura?  One recently went for about $100 on eBay so they're not too
>expensive, if not all that frequently available.  Any thoughts
>appreciated.

I have this lens and use it occasionally on my IIIfRD. Results aren't bad,
but not quite up to Leica standards; colour rendition is a bit on the cold
side. The rangefinder cam appears to couple OK, but mechanically the
focussing ring is hardly silky.

I purchased the lens many years ago, and was luckily able to purchase
direct from Japan the Komura multi-finder which includes the 200mm focal
length. The v/f is brightline (but not very bright), and operates on the
VIOOH principle. Thus you only have a tiny area in which to compose your
shot.

For a lens of this length, I would have thought you'd be far better off
using an SLR . I find the Leicaflex SL with the 180 Elmarit R a great
combination. I also use the 280 Telyt M on the SL with the appropriate M to
R adaptor.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst