Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M3 questions
From: "Martin V. Howard" <marho@ida.liu.se>
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 16:17:11 +0200

eric chassignet wrote:

> - Manual for the M3. Being new to the rangefinder realm, I am trying to find
> out the corresponding focal length to the frames in the view finder. I seems
> that the permanent one in the finder is for the 50 mm, teh two smaller ones,
> 90 mm and 135 mm. Correct? What about the 35mm?

Congratulations on acquiring an M3!  You're right about the 50, 90 and
135mm frames.  However, the M3 has no 35mm frame.  If you buy one of the
35mm lenses with goggles for the M3, then it will convert the 50mm frame
into the correct field of view for the 35mm lens.

One of the reasons for the M2's popularity was the combination of 35-50-90
mm frames in the viewfinder, which many considered to be more useful than
the 50-90-135mm frames of the M3, despite the lower magnification in the
VF.

Conclusion: Get both an M3 *and* and M2.  Working towards an M2 with 35mm
right now... ;-)

M.

- --
Martin V. Howard, Application Systems Laboratory,     |
Dept. of Comp. & Info. Sci., Linkoping University,    | Just DOHH it!
SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.  Tel +46 13 282 421,     +----------------+
Fax +46 13 142 231; marho@ida.liu.se; www.ida.liu.se/~marho