Subject: Re: [Leica] Requested Information on Abrahamsson Softrelease Prototype - LONG
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 21:51:05 -0700

I've had an M6 for only four months now (I'm mainly an R and LF
photographer.) I had a Rapidwinder and Fred Wards soft release waiting fo=
my M6 delivery last February. I have never used my M6 any way other than
with the Rapidwinder and the soft release. I cannot imagine using the M6
any other way. The soft release does indeed allow you to hand hold the M6
at a slower speed than without. I fiddled with the camera without the sof=
release and said "no way." With the soft release and the Rapidwinder, it'=
just one easy flow to photograph. You don't push the release, you squeeze
it with various parts of your finger or thumb. Never the end. I don't han=
hold my R cameras. Velvia and polarizers prohibit it. So I'm having a gre=
at
time with my M6. Tom Abrahamsson and Fred Ward are saints. I try to put m=
M6 back in the bag, uncocked, so I don't get a picture of the inside of m=
lens cap. I am in the habit of checking my soft release's tightness. I'm
always sort of turning it in the tighten direction to make sure I don't
loose it. It's an unconscious action now (OK... I heard that!).

Jim

At 05:28 PM 5/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>>butzi@halcyon.com (Paul & Paula Butzi) wrote  to leica-users@mejac.palo=
- -
>alto.ca.us, Date:98-05-18 12:22:35 EDT=20
>
>>Hey! What's this about a soft release? Would that be release as in shut=
ter
>release?
>>Tell us more! It's not fair to tease like that.<
>------------------------------------------------------------------------=
- ---
- ---
>--------------------------------
>Vancouver, B.C., Canada , May 18, 1998
>Paul & Paula and other LUGgers,
>Yes, the long rumored  Abrahamsson Softrelease has been prototyped. What=
 it
>means is that the CNC lathe (Computer Numerically Controlled) has spat o=
ut a

>small amount of my initial design. What remains now is the fine-tuning o=
the
>design and the other mundane things like:
>
>=93How much will they cost to make? Can they be anodized? What is the sh=
ipping
>and packaging cost? And how much are the users going to have to pay for
them?=94

>My Softrelease screws into the regular cable release thread. It has a sl=
ight
>dome shape to it, knurled edges, and is the same diameter as the =93cup=94=
 in
>which the regular release button of a M camera sits.
>The initial batch is made of a 6000 series alloy (easier to machine and
adjust
>the machine). The production version will be done in a 7000 series alloy.
This
>one takes the anodizing better and will also take wear and tear better.
>There have been quite a few of different Softreleases done over the year=
s.
>Leica used to make one; a very complex and a too tall one. There are
>Softreleases for Nikon F=92s (very nice), and there is a current crop of
>Softreleases from Japan (small diameter and mostly decorated with store =
names
>or product names).
>The Softrelease has certain advantages; you gain about a stop in speed a=
nd
can