Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux & sports (was: Sports with an M6-2nd opinion)
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 17:59:35 +0200

At 09:50 18.05.1998 EDT, you wrote:
>Working with the Noctilux, I find it better to prefocus on areas of expected
>recurrent activity (i.e.. under the net, they always come back), than to
>follow focus.

Even in prefocusing, there is still another problem: The players'
movements are very quick, hence you select the shortest possible
shutter speed - something between 1/250 and 1/1000. On the other
side, you need to open the lens, say to f 1.4 or f 1.0. However,
at these f-stops you need to be "dead on" or at least pretty close
with the distance, otherwise the players vanish into the 'bokeh'  :)
or - more bad - into an USD 2.500 f 1.0 blur :)

If you, on the other hand, have enough light to use f 2.0, then
the 2/50 Summicron should be your nr 1 choice, because (1) the
adjustment of distance is more quick and (2) the lens is more sharp
at f 2.0 . Different, the Noctilux could be nr 1 choice for close-ups
of any near positioned audience (?, word), coach, players in the cabins
etc.

Just an idea.

Alf

Alfred Breull