Subject: Re: [Leica] Flash for M's
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 19:16:08 -0700

david place wrote:

> I have also been looking at the Quantum ... specifically the T model with
> Quantums new power pack ... this also will power two units ... also offers TTL
> ... but the price is out of sight ... worth it ?

David,
Price is slightly more than Lumidyne and not far from Norman (and you'd
still have a norman!).  I look at them as being relatively inexpensive.
But then I have cases full of Balcars and all the stands to hold them.
With the Q'flash you can also use Chimera rings and softboxes.  And
still do TTL.  Of course, other than flash fill, I am really paranoid of
auto flash that I can't control or see on polaroid.

I just shot portraits of Jim Lampley Friday.  He is big time boxing
announcer on ESPN and other networks and he loved to move around and my
brain was going crazy doing inverse square fall off calculations on the
fly in my head (I have enough trouble reading the meter).  Would have
been lovely to get the four light set up nailed in one position and then
let ttl take over the slight changes.  But difficult with the Qs to get
f/11 I needed for some full length shot done on 6x7 for the full size
stand up cut out of him.  But most could have been done at 5.6 for the
35s.

BTW, I called Quantum for information and they were useless, even
surly.  Called Lumidyne and they were wonderful.

donal
- --
- ---
Donal Philby