Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlargement Sharpness Question
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 06:10:46 +0000

> Various labs over the years have been used, but I have been told just
> recently,  that to speed up the printing of automatic machine prints,
> the lenses are usually used wide open ---- as opposed to stopping
> down for custom enlargements.  Am I expecting too much  wanting
> needle sharp machine prints or should we keep trying different labs?
>
> Marvin

It is true that some labs try to save time by using their lenses wide open
and that produces awful looking prints.  Through recommendations I have
been using a lab which takes pride in its work and I get very consistent
results from them.  If a set of prints appear awful, I know it is my fault.
 There are not many such labs in Singapore and I find it worth the effort
to drive all the way to them even though my neighbourhod lab is more
convenient.  These chaps have so much pride in service that they have given
regulars like me a card key which allows me to drop off film in their
equivalent of a night safe over a weekend and pick the prints up at lunch
on Mondays. They charge 10 cents more per 4x6" print compared to my
neighbourhood (one hour type) lab but they are worth it.

I believe there are a handful of good labs around and you just have to keep
looking and find one.

Dan Khong