Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica changes, a fantasy
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 10:31:03 +0200

Well - I wouldn=B4t mind a camera like the late, lamented Minolta CLE w=
ith
the shutter Larry proposes here and better 90 mm frame. Zoom finder? If
well executed, why not. But the outward appearance must remain
traditionally Leica-like! Raimo

- ----------
> From: LRZeitlin <LRZeitlin@aol.com>
> To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
> Subject: [Leica] Re:  Leica changes, a fantasy
> Date: 15. toukokuuta 1998 21:24
>=20
> As long as Leica modifications are being discussed, the members of ou=
chapter
> of the Leicaholic Chowder and Marching Society agree that the M camer=
needs
> change if it to staunch the defection to the Contax G2. Here is what =
we
> propose:
> 1. The camera should be redesigned to utilize newer technology but sh=
ould
> remain relatively small and light. A rollback in weight and size to t=
hat
of
> the CL or screw mount Leicas would be nice.
> 2. The lensmount and focusing mechanism MUST remain the same, permitt=
ing
the
> use of all existing M mount lenses. Electrical sensing contacts would=
 be
OK if
> they did not interfere with mounting existing lenses. Since it would =
be
> impractical to autofocus existing lenses, a focus confirmation signal
should
> be incorporated into the view/rangefinder. The signal would indicate =
when
the
> lens was focused on an object in the RF window. This is essentially a=
> autofocus sensor without the lens focusing mechanism. It would be a b=
oon
for
> ageing eyes.
> 3. The viewfinder should have either a zoom capability or at least a =
two
range
> (high, low) variable magnification permitting reasonably sized field
frames
> for both wide angle and long focus lenses. A greater eye relief shoul=
d be
> incorporated, facilitating the use of the camera with glasses. A mult=
> magnification viewfinder was available in the Canon 30 years ago and =
pretty
> good zoom finder in my wife's P&S Olympus today.
> 4. A vertical travel, lens opening priority auto exposure capable, me=
tal
> shutter should be used. Leica already uses this approach in the R ser=
ies
with