Subject: Re: [Leica] leica vs olympus vs Linhof
From: Robert Rose <rjr@usip.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 09:28:28 -0700

Now if he had simply traded in the OM-1 for a used R4 or R4sP with a used Summicron 50mm he would not have added any weight, and he would have added aperture metering, a brighter screen, a quieter shutter, spot metering, and better accessories.

And he would have lived happily ever after.

Having both cameras I can say an R4 beats the pants off the OM-1.

Even on mirror-lockup!  The R4 has no mirror-lockup, but on testing on my telescope I am convinced that it has less vibration than the OM-1.  That is because the up swing of the R4 mirror is very well damped, and the shutter is quieter and has less vibration.  The down swing is what makes the clump, but by then the picture is taken.

So there.
Bob