Subject: Re: [Leica] no one can help on this one?
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 10:42:04 -0500

For a flash unit it use a Nikon SB26. It is bigger than I like and I will
look for something smaller one of these days. The advantage of this unit (
and probably with lots of them if I would look ) is that on manual mode I
may dial in any f stop that I choose. I am not limited to just 1, 2 or 3
stops like so many of the smaller units. I will dial in from f 1.4 to f64.
You may also dial in full power down to 1/64 power if you desire. I
understand that this unit is designed for automatic TTL with the Nikon
brand but in manual mode with the sensor mounted on the flash it also does
wonderful things.
<<<<<<<<<<

You might try the Nikon SB-28. I bought one specifically for my FM2 (same
size as an M6, but for a smidge of a prism hump). It is noticeabley smaller
than an SB-26, has all the same capabilities when used on a manual camera
(except the slave function) and even costs a bit less. The downside is it
has fewer switches and more controls accessed by pressing button
combinations, something I dislike.

I also recently looked at the new Metz 28 series flash. Much more compact
than the 40 MZ-3 and costs much, much less. But, while it has a lower
profile, when mounted on my FM2 it didn't feel any less bulky than the
SB-28 despite having less functionality. And it doesn't cover the angle of
a 24 mm lens, a lens I use often.

Larry