Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Focusing & Lens Element
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 22:06:34 -0600

- -----Original Message-----
From: AJSymi <AJSymi@aol.com>
>Is it true that the focusing methodology of the M6 renders a sharper image
on
>film because the rangefinder affords a more accurate way to focus?

In theory, yes, and the accuracy would be even better if they spaced the
rangefinder windows further apart.

 Further,
>is the rear lens element (of an M lens) when mounted on an M6, closer to
the
>film plane than, let's say, an R8, and does this do anything for sharpness,
>contrast, color saturation, overall picture quality, etc.?

It can be much closer, as the lens designer need not take into account the
need to clear a swinging reflex mirror of an SLR. A certain amount of
optical trickery is required to make a wideangle lens that works on an SLR,
for this reason.

Exactly what this means in the final image, I'm not sure, as I have gotten
good results using "true" wideangles and those designed around SLRs alike.
Never thought to do direct comparisons.