Subject: [Leica] Where a Leica will take you
From: Harrison McClary <hmcclary@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 00:20:41 -0500

Just thought I would relate my day, esp this evening to the LUG.

I am currently in Dyersburg, Tennessee working on one of the magazines we
do.  I have shot around 20 some odd rolls of film since yesterday at 2pm
and have photographed everthing from the head of a national building
company, who I took into the middle field of wheat to shoot with one of
their buildings in the background to going out into the flooded
Mississippii River with a copule of local High school youths.  I was
trying to get a shot of the I-155 river bridge with the sun setting
behind it for the cover of our magazine.  It would have been an easy
shot...except the river was way out of its banks and over the road I
needed to be on.  I was talking about my problem with a local police
officer while doing a photo shoot with him and he linked me up with his
brother who had the boat.

We were out tooling around the backwaters of the Mississippii river in a
small 14 foot john boat with a 9 horse motor trying to line up a shot.
The fellows had to get out and pull the boat in some low spots (They were
wearing hip boots) and we all three got eaten up by misquotes, they were
so thick at some points the drone was surrealistic.  We did our best to
stay out of the current as the boat was not powerful enough to match the
strength of the mighty Mississippii.

It did end up making a very nice photo with the sun setting as a big ball
of fire below the bridge with reflections on the water, and would have
looked even nicer had I been able to shoot from dry land where I could
have used a tripod and gotten the pretty magenta color on the water as
the sun dipped below the horizon, but the shot is good as is and looked
great throught the R8 and 90 summicron.

Of course all my gear now smells like dead fish and my camera bag has mud
and river flood water all over it.

Sure beats the heck out of working for a living.

Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto