Subject: Re: [Leica] 35mm on M3
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 09:24:46 -0500

Michael,
I don't know if anyone has answered you yet so I'll try to help.

The first versions of the 35 Summicron and 35 Summilux were available with
the goggles (these lenses are called RF-Summicron/RF-Summilux by some).  The
goggles on these lenses are attached by screws and are not meant for easy
removal.  Later versions of these lenses were not available with the
goggles.

I believe both the 3.5 and 2.8 versions of the Summaron were available with
the goggles and the goggles were removable on these lenses (I believe).

I use a 35/2 RF-Summicron on the M3.  In my opinion, the later versions of
the 35/2 were better in most respects than the first version, especially in
the area of color rendition.

The goggles display some distortion, loss of brilliance and occasional flare
or reflections.  However, it's about the only way you can use the 35 on an
M3 w/o taking off the MR meter and using an auxiliary viewfinder.

If I had only one lens for the M3, it would be a 50 mm.  I especially like
the color rendition and results from the Rigid or Dual Range Summicron.

Bud Cook